(It is possible to offer the program in any Australian capital city with changes in tour programs to reflect the uniqueness of the particular city and region.)
The AEC offers a unique `Experience Australia’ AEC Program for all Australia bound AEC students on semester and year abroad programs. This program is optional.
Many programs do offer a similar variation of the Experience Australia program and the cost of the program is included in the packaged program fee. The AEC no longer offers packaged programs – it is a direct enrollment service provider which means students pay the university’s tuition fees. Therefore, when considering cost, do take the time to look at the section on cost and services of the AEC Program and understand why the program is optional.
The program takes place prior to the start of orientation on campus. Some important information about the program:
- students can arrive in Cairns to begin their AEC Experience Australia Program prior to the on-campus mandatory orientation program. The AEC will structure the program to suit your schedule.
- students have flexibility to purchase their own international airline tickets with the Cairns component included to their final Australian city (i.e. a stop over or an add on separate airfare), as the AEC does not require students to take up a set group airfare. There is complete flexibility.
- there are various activities planned during the 5 days in Cairns including a tour of the Great Barrier Reef, white water rafting and various visits to major tourist attractions including a visit to an Aboriginal cultural center with the key feature of the program being a lecture on Australia's Aboriginal History.
- Some meals within the program are covered.
- The overall intent of the program in Cairns is to provide students with an opportunity that goes beyond the classroom while at the same time discovering a unique part of Australia that would not otherwise be accessible to semester and year abroad students.
The cost of the Experience Australia program will be A$700 and include:
- 5 nights shared housing
- the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural program
- an all day boat program to the Great Barrier Reef with lunch provided
- an all day program to the outskirts of Cairns and beyond to see the tropical regions of Cairns; lunch provided
Further information about the program will be sent to all students with their acceptance and pre-departure packages.
If you need to know more, please contact the AEC.
The AEC also allows parents, advisors, faculty and `friends’ to participate in this program subject to space and full cost recovery. Please continue to check the AEC web site for up-to-date information on this great program!